Bangladesh Bridge Authority (the Client) has signed a contract (the Construction Contract) with the China Communications Construction Company Limited (the Contractor) for the design, manufacture, construction and commissioning of the tunnel with the approach roads, toll plaza, building services and electronic control systems. The Contract follows general conditions of Contract of FIDIC – Silver Book (EPC). The Contractor will be required to complete the tunnel within 5 years from the commencement Date of the Project.
Bangladesh Bridge Authority (the Client) has engaged the Consultant for design review and construction supervision of the Multi-Lane Road Tunnel under the River Karnaphuli Project in the role of Employer’s Representative’s Assistant.
The tunnel and approach roads is split into two distinct sections. One is located on the north western side of the Karnaphuli River and the other on the southern eastern side of the river. The first is called the western bank section and the second called the eastern bank section.
The Project route has a total length of 9,266 m made up of the following sections:
- Approach road on west bank is 550 m long, including the toll plaza which is 400 m long
- Main structure is 3,315 m long (the open section on west bank is 200 m long, buried section on west bank 195 m long, working shaft on west bank 25 m long, shield section 2,450 m long, working shaft on east bank 25 m long, buried section on east bank 230 m long, open section on east bank 190 m long)
- Approach road on east bank is 5,400 m long (including the 750m long viaduct and 400 m long toll plaza). The river where it is crossed by the tunnel is about 1,240 m wide.
SMEC and ACE Consultants is providing consultancy services for Design Review and Construction Supervision under Multi Lane Road Tunnel under the River Karnaphuli. SMEC and ACE Consultants is providing the following Consultancy services:
- Review of the Contract Documents (including the detailed design produced by the Contractor in compliance with the requirements of the Construction Contract.
- Review, inspection and monitoring of the Works (temporary and permanent works) including approval of all method statements.
- Assess geological, topographical, hydrological and environmental conditions at site.
- Continuous monitoring of the Contractor’s Quality Assurance System.
- Review of the Contractor’s Environmental Management System.
- Assist the Client in all land acquisition matters and resettlement.
- Review of the Contractor’s Site Safety Plan and monitoring of safety during construction.
- Reviewing the inspection and test plans and results of testing under the Construction Contract.
- Conducting the procedures and preparation of the Taking-Over Certificate and the Performance Certificate.
- Chattogram, Bangladesh
- Technical Area:
- Bangladesh Bridge Authority [BBA]
- Project Start:
- November, 2016
- Project Completed:
- On Going